For a lot of homeowners, the kitchen is one of the busiest rooms in the house and there are a lot of power guzzling appliances specific for that one room.
Dishwashers, refrigerators, ovens, electric kettles, blenders, coffee makers, and other such appliances all live in your kitchen, eating up your electricity. This is why it is important to make your kitchen as energy efficient as possible. Your savings will thank you!
Stop using unnecessary energy!
Think about buying appliances with higher or more efficient ratings. Fridges, freezers, dishwashers, and other household appliances are now rated for energy efficiency—check the EnerGuide for details.
- Your refrigerator– Today’s refrigerators are much better energy performers than older models; superior design, more efficient compressors and better insulation and door seals all help improve energy efficiency.
- Your dishwasher– Advanced technologies in today’s dishwashers enable them to use up to 95 percent less energy than before, and offer more energy-saving features like short, light or economy cycles, and heat or no-heat drying.
- Your oven– In general, the smaller the oven, the less energy used in cooking, so choose the smallest appliance suited to the task.
- Other appliances– Small appliances use less power than larger ones.
- Use an electric kettle rather than a stovetop one.
- Save money by using a microwave oven rather than a regular electric oven or stove
- Consider replacing old expensive-to-run appliances with newer, more energy efficient appliances. Also, there is no need to keep them plug in all day- they are using energy even if they aren’t turned on!
- Your kitchen sink- Repair leaky faucets and install a tap aerator on your kitchen faucet. Doing so will stop water from being wasted. Also, try cooling water in your fridge to drink instead of running water until it gets cold.
There are lots of things that you can do in your kitchen to make it more energy efficient, starting with upgrading your appliances. Ditch your old, energy devouring appliances and watch as you save on your next energy bill!