If you’re looking for an Ontario hydro fridge pick up program, you’re in the right place!
About 20% of the electricity bill in an average home is racked up by household appliances. Thanks to Canada’s improved energy-efficiency standards, appliance manufacturers have, over the last two decades, improved the efficiency of the appliances used in Canadian homes.
For instance, a refrigerator built in 1984 or earlier will use more than twice the electricity that a more recent refrigerator needs – hence why the Great Refrigerator Roundup is quintessential.
The goal of the Great Refrigerator Roundup is to remove older, most likely inefficient fridges from the electricity system. These older secondary fridges are often located in garages or basements and in most cases are plugged in but rarely ever used.
Removing these older refrigerators can help Ontario residents save from $120 to 150 per year off their electricity bills – this accounts for about 10% of annual electricity costs if the inefficient fridge is not replaced.
You must fulfill the following requirements to qualify for the Great Refrigerator Roundup
To qualify for this grant, you must have one of the primary appliances shown below. You can also have a secondary appliance such as a window air conditioner, and small fridges/freezers picked up but only if the primary appliance to be picked up is a large fridge or freezer.
Primary appliance specifications: Full-sized freezers/refrigerators must be:
- working (please plug this in at least a full day before pick up)
- at least 10 cubic feet and not more than 27 cubic feet
- at least 15 years old
Secondary appliance specifications: Dehumidifiers and window air conditioners must be:
- at least 10 years old
Note: Please unmount the window air conditioner before pick up day and place it close to a wall socket or any source of power.
To Get This Grant
Eligible seniors can apply for this grant while filing their personal income tax return. You may qualify for the grant even if you don’t have any income to report.
Your pickup location should
Condominiums & Apartments should have:
To reschedule or cancel
You cannot cancel appointments online. To reschedule or cancel an existing appointment, dial 1-877-797-9473.
Complementary Grant Programs By Ontario Power Authority
Ontario Power Authority is currently running two other programs that you may be interested in:
- Cool Savings Rebate: Ontario residents who replace their old heating systems or central air conditioning with ENERGY STAR® qualified models would get up to $550 in rebates.
- peaksaver ®: The hotter it gets, the harder air conditioners have to work. This by extension means there is an increased demand for electricity. A peak demand period (usually during the summer) is when the heat is at its highest. Ontario residents who have a central air conditioner can help their province to manage this peak demand when they enroll in peaksaver®.
Tip 1 – Find Manufacture Date:
Find the manufacture date of your fridge on the manufacturer’s sticker. This is often on the back of the fridge or on a sticker inside.
Tip 2 – Calculate Size:
The size of your unit is the result of multiplying the depth x width x height (in feet) of the freezer compartment and the fridge compartment. Add the two results of each multiplication and that’s the total size in cubic feet.
1. freezer: 2.2?D x 1.0?H x 2.0?W = 4.4 cubic feet;2. fridge: 2.1?D x 3.1?H x 2.2?W = 14.32 cubic feet;3. 4.44 + 14.32 = 18.76 cubic feet total.
– You must be present during the agreed appointment time to sign the release form. If you aren’t available, then an 18-year-old individual must be present.
– Ammonia-based refrigerators would not be picked up.
Tip 3 – How to know if your refrigerator is ammonia-based:
Most large ammonia-based refrigerators are at least 45 years old and usually have a top vent for dispersing heat. The larger units also have a hook-up for natural gas or liquid propane.
Territory/Province: OntarioEnd Date: Ongoing
For More Information
Please call 1-877-797-9473 or visit http://www.everykilowattcounts.ca/residential/fridge/pick-up-my-fridge.php