If you’re like most good homeowners, you know there are all kinds of toxins and pollutants floating around your home…
One of the most effective ways to clean up those toxins is to buy an air purifier - but before you do, it’s important to consider what you want to use it for.
Perhaps you have bad allergies or asthma, and want to make your home more comfortable, or perhaps you want to remove smoke and dust from the air, creating a healthier environment.
Whatever the reason, a specially designed air purifier is the solution to rid your home of any airborne contamination. Here are some of the most common reasons that people decide to purchase an air purifier:
- To improve breathing problems such as asthma
- To prevent medical problems associated with dust mites
- To remove dust particles from the home
- To improve general air quality
- To reduce pollution from traffic if living near a busy road
- To remove pollen particles and help hay fever
- To prevent the spread of mold throughout the home
- To clean up pet dander
- To aid in MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity)
- To clear cigarette and tobacco smoke
If any of the above affects you, then purchasing an air purifier could be the best investment you’ll ever make, and you don’t have to break the bank to live in a clean environment.
Below are our picks for the best cost-effective air purifiers on the market, but simply choosing the right air purifier for you is not enough—you have to know how to use it properly.
Here are a few simple tips that you should keep in mind to get the most out of your air purifier.
Choose The Right Location
Like humans, air purifiers need space to breathe. When choosing where to set up your air purifier, make sure that you give it a meter or two of clear space around each of its four sides and on top.
The less each of these areas is obstructed, the more air circulation will be improved.
The size of the air purifier you purchase should be relative to the room—there’s no point buying a huge air purifier for a small living space, and a tiny purifier will have little effect in a large room.
Direct The Flow of Clean Air Towards You
This is particularly true in larger rooms, but it is a good idea to direct the flow of clean air towards you to gain the most benefit.
In smaller rooms, this is less important as all of the purified air will be able to circulate throughout the room.
Just Keep it On
Depending on your reasons for purchasing an air purifier, the safe bet is that you will always want it to be on.
This is especially true if you wish to cover up the smell of cigarette or tobacco smoke and if you have any health issues such as allergies or respiratory diseases.
Air purifiers today are generally very energy efficient, so just leave them on.
Make Sure Windows are Closed
Just like keeping your house heated in the winter or maintaining a cool indoors in the hot summer, an air purifier won’t work properly if your doors and windows are open.
The best way to keep the air in your home clean is to prevent as much outside air from entering and bringing new pollutants with it.
In the same vein, you don’t want your newly purified air to escape out into the world and become contaminated again.
Changes The Filters on A Regular Basis
When it comes to maintaining your air purifier, there is nothing better than reading and following the manufacturer’s instructions.
But, in general, your filter will need to be replaced every year. In the case of washable filters, cleaning should be done every 1-2 weeks.
An air purifier without a clean filter is basically pointless, so maintaining this part will be invaluable.
Here are our top picks of air purifiers. The one you want to purchase will depends on your own specific needs.
This aroma air purifier is great for the home or office and is ideal to cover up those nasty odors such as cigarette smoke or the smell of pets. It is compact and portable, meaning it is easier to take with you when you’re on the go.
It has a natural light or dark brown wood design which makes it fit in almost every setting. This is an inexpensive and simple way to make your home or office more pleasant.
- Holds up to 300ml of water
- Produces up to 30ml of moisture per hour
- Can run up to 10 hours continuously
- Automatic power off
- Extremely quiet ultrasonic technology
- Smooth mist which helps soften and moisten skin
- 4 time setting modes 1 hour/3 hours/6 hours/steady on
The Bionaire HEPA-Type Egg Air Purifier looks like something straight out of a sci-fi movie.
It features a permanent 99% HEPA air filter and also acts as a night light, helping to keep the indoors fresh and revitalizing. Its sleek black or white design will add something to every room in which it is placed.
- Get rid of up to 99% of airborne allergens, such as dust, pollen, and pet dander
- Permanent filtration for low operational maintenance
- Choose from 3 speed settings depending on the room
- Keep track of filter life for optimal efficiency
- Perfect for medium-sized rooms
The GermGuardian AC5000E is an incredibly multi-functional air cleaning system. Its 3-in-1 system is able to purify your air through multiple layers trapping allergens, destroying airborne bacteria, and killing mold and odor.
The first layer is a charcoal filter which traps particles like dust and odor. The second layer is the HEPA filter which captures nearly 100% of airborne particles larger than 0.3 microns in size.
The final layer is the UV-C light technology which helps to kill pathogens with titanium dioxide that decomposes odor molecules.
- Ideal for medium or large sized rooms
- CADR rated 125+
- Captures nearly everything as small as .3 microns
- Indicator lights letting you know when to replace the filter or UV-C bulb
- Every purifier is tested before it reaches you
- Charcoal filter decreases common house odors
- UV-C light technology to kill airborne bacteria, viruses, germs and mold spores