The Government of Canada has announced funding to increase the domestic market for chicken and turkey. The Canadian poultry industry is a very lucrative business, but it’s also heavily dependent on imports from other countries like the United States and Brazil. To support more jobs in Canada and help Canadians eat food produced in their own country, the government has pledged to give the poultry industry $3 million over the next five years. This money will create new marketing campaigns and promote Canadian chicken and turkey as premium products.
This announcement is excellent news for the Canadian economy. The poultry industry is responsible for creating thousands of jobs, and it’s also a significant exporter. By investing in this industry, the government is sending a message that it supports businesses committed to creating jobs and boosting Canada’s economy.
About the Funding
Chicken and turkey producers in Canada produce the best quality goods for Canadians. The Government of Canada is assisting farmers in growing their businesses and ensuring the continued prosperity of Canada’s agriculture sector by supporting industry initiatives to increase the domestic turkey and chicken markets.
Francis Drouin, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, announced $3.5 million in Market Development Program support for Turkey Farmers of Canada and Chicken Farmers of Canada today on behalf of the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Marie Claude Bibeau. Through industry-led promotional initiatives that differentiate Canadian goods and producers, and utilize Canada’s reputation for high-quality poultry products, funding from this program will help enhance domestic demand and consumption of Canadian turkey and chicken products.
Turkey Farmers of Canada will receive up to $2.5 million to raise public knowledge of turkey meat’s benefits as a primary and alternative protein in Canada.
Chicken Farmers of Canada will receive up to $1 million to promote the quality of Canadian chicken and the farmers’ commitment to providing safe, high-quality chicken to Canadians. The Market Development Program’s funding will be crucial in enhancing the poultry industry’s competitiveness while demonstrating our farmers’ dedication to providing the most excellent product for Canadian families. These investments will assist in securing our poultry farmers’ sustained growth and profitability, which will help keep Canada’s rural communities robust and vibrant. The Canadian government is committed to paying supply-managed industries full and equitable compensation for market access concessions made under the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership. This industry’s expansion will increase sales and economic growth, ensuring the agriculture sector’s long-term viability.
Significant Points About the Funding
- Feedback from industry and stakeholder dialogues informed the program and funding decisions.
- The Market Development Program for Turkey and Chicken will provide the Turkey Farmers of Canada with $19.2 million over ten years and the Chicken Farmers of Canada with $25 million, totalling more than $44 million in support to improve the sectors’ market position.
- Within the year, work is being done with supply-managed industries to determine complete and equitable compensation for the effects of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.
- The Canadian government has pledged over $3 billion to compensate supply-managed industries harmed by CETA and CPTPP. It includes the following:
- The Dairy Direct Payment Program is worth $1.75 billion;
- $1.75 billion through the Dairy Direct Payment Program
- $647 million through the Poultry and Egg On-Farm Investment Program; $292.5 million through the Supply Management Processing Investment Fund
- $250 million through the Dairy Farm Investment Program;
- $100 million through the Dairy Processing Investment Fund;
- $44 million through the Market Development Program for Turkey and Chicken.
“Canadians can be proud of their Turkey and Chicken producers. Funding announced today will provide Canadians with the opportunity to learn more about the steps poultry farmers are taking to provide safe, nutritious food across the country.” – Francis Drouin, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
“Following the signing of international agreements, the government committed to providing full and fair compensation to Canada’s supply-managed sectors, and we are delivering on that commitment. These investments enable poultry producers to promote their products’ high quality across Canada and expand their markets.”
– The Honorable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
“We are pleased with this announcement of the Market Development Program for Turkey and Chicken. The program will go a long way to support the turkey sector’s work in reaching consumers and promoting the wholesome and high-quality turkey raised by Canadian farmers.”
– Darren Ference, Chair, Turkey Farmers of Canada
“The Market Development Program for Turkey and Chicken will significantly assist our sector’s continued promotion of the safe, high-quality chicken that farmers raise with care for Canadians. This program will enhance consumer engagement and continue to showcase Canadian-made products to Canadians
– Tim Klompmaker, Chair, Chicken Farmers of Canada
Leave a Reply